In this instance, the piece of glass being a Hoya R72 Infrared filter.
I got it for my birthday last year and so far I’ve barely taken it out of its box, simply because it seems like so much hassle to get good results when taking IR photos – there is so much post processing involved and the subject itself needs to be special in it’s own way as well. My boyfriend has used the filter much more successfully – as demonstrated here – but today I finally found a scene that in my view warranted the use of the filter.
The picture is taken in Luke Manor Park, a delightful little place, not far from Tartu.
For the past several hours I’ve been reading articles about how to process infrared images to get the desired results. After a bit of experimenting (Lab Channels being one of the keywords) I ended up with the image displayed above, which I’m quite happy with. The picture that came out of the camera can be seen here.
First off: The satellite image for rain – nothing threatens us | CHECK (http://www.sat24.com/?ir=true&ra=true®ion=eu)
Secondly: The hourly forecast for the day – seems fine to me | CHECK (http://www.accuweather.com/en/ee/estonia-weather)
Thirdly: No thunder in the area – no beeps or marks | CHECK (http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en)
Life is hard and then you die.
To remember the days that pass, we decided to make a trip / hike / sightseeing tour.
Here we go – see you later.
So… Seems like I have taken “Picture a Day” challenge very “seriously”.
Well… Next year I will take part in all of them (In my hopes and dreams).
Few days back me and my girlfriend took a walk in Old Castle ruins located near the town where I grew up.
In the ruins we found a very well lit suspension bridge and fortunately I had my camera with a tripod handy (the best gift for christmas this year).
There should be EXIF with the file, but in case you are wondering:
HDR bracket: (-2;2)
Exposure: 2 ; 1/2 / 8
Lens used: Canon EFS 17-85; 1:4-5.6 IS USM (Manual focus, Stabililizer off). Focal lenght: 17mm
Camera Used: My PrEcIoUs Canon EOS 400D with firmware upgrade.
Software used: Adobe Photoshop + NIK filters (Boosted Red layer, removed some noise, merged HDR).
And here is the result:
In case I won’t get here before it’s time: Have a nice New Year’s Eve!